David Menken is a member of the Business Law, Fire/EMS Law and Intellectual Property/IT Law groups at Smith Buss & Jacobs LLP, a law firm based in Yonkers and New York City, New York.
David counsels clients in a variety of corporate law, intellectual property and information technology matters. He negotiates business transactions, including corporate control agreements, mergers and acquisitions, and business development agreements. He also provides legal assistance regarding, among other things, information technology licensing and protection, trade secret protection, software development and data security issues.
David also counsels not-for-profit corporations, including in particular fire and EMS departments, on a full range of New York and Federal legal issues to help them operate effectively and satisfy their corporate and operational legal requirements. Among other tasks, he reviews and drafts corporate by-laws, advises on operational matters, conducts in-house data security training and assists with development and review of standard operating procedures and guidelines. As part of his representation of non-profits, he provides specific guidance on the New York Non-Profit Revitalization Act of 2013 which modernized New York non-profit law and strengthened governance through compliance with certain best practices that all non-profits must consider.
David has represented government entities in matters such as inter-municipal negotiations and on issues such as open meetings and record retention laws. As a former Village Attorney for Mount Kisco, Chair of the Bedford Zoning Board of Appeals, member of the Westchester County Planning Board, and Vice Chair of the Westchester Charter Revision Commission, David is able to use his government, municipal and land use experience to effectively represent both government entities and those whose business involves zoning, land use and municipal law.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Vice President, Firefighter and EMT, Bedford Village Fire Department
- Co-Chair, Intellectual Property Committee, Westchester County Bar Association
- Judge, Town of Bedford, New York, Justice Court.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Former Chairman, Town of Bedford, New York, Zoning Board of Appeals
- Former Member, Westchester County Planning Board
- Former 1st Vice Chair, Westchester County Charter Review Commission
- J.D., New York University, 1981
- B.A., with honors, Johns Hopkins University, 1977
- Center of the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (Bologna, Italy), 1976
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
If you would like to contact me, or think you may require my assistance, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone me at 914-457-4168 (office) or 914-629-0249 (mobile) with any question you may have.